Windows has always supported varying languages, but up until now, this has required installing an additional language pack. However, you can now change the system language for Windows 8.1 by changing the language in the system properties. But, first, let’s see how you can change the display language in Windows 8.1.
Since the release of Windows 10 , the default language of the Start Menu and Apps was changed to ‘English (United Kingdom)’. Now, this has changed again, the Windows Phone OS now defaults to ‘English (United Kingdom)’ when your device is set to an international locale. The good news is that you can change the default Start Menu and App language preferences to English (United States).
In Windows 10, Microsoft decided to change their default language from English to Chinese. This makes quite a bit of sense as China is the biggest market for PCs and it helps to reduce the language barrier for users that use a non-English version of Windows. This change has upset a lot of people, as they can no longer see the things they’ve been used to seeing for years.
In Windows 11, you may change the default system UI (user interface) language, also known as Windows display language, so that all messages in Windows 11’s system functions and applications, such as File Explorer and Settings, are shown in that language. This brief tutorial will teach you how to alter Windows 11’s default system display language and how to add a language to Windows 11 so that it may be chosen as the Windows display language.
Users may change the system language to whatever language they choose during the Windows 11 setup process. If you leave this option unchecked, English will be the default system language. Users may change the Windows display language in Windows Settings if Windows is already installed.
Some computers, particularly laptop computers that come with pre-installed Windows, may have the system language set to their local languages, depending on the area where you buy your PC (such as Chinese or Japanese).
If you have a Windows 11 PC with a display language that you don’t understand, you may use the screenshots in the instructions below to convert the Windows display language back to English or any language you choose.
How to Change Windows 11’s Default System Language
The following instructions and screenshots are written in English. If your version of Windows 11 displays a language you don’t recognize, try following the steps and selecting choices depending on the icons and locations indicated in the images. In Windows 11, the procedures to access the Windows display language settings are largely the same for all languages.
- To access Settings in Windows 11, click the Win + I keys.
- On the left pane, click on Time & Language (an icon of a globe and clock).
- Then, on the right pane, click on Language & Region (the second selection).
- Select Windows display language from the drop-down menu under Language (the top most option and drop-down menu).
- To make a language the default system display language, choose it from the list of available languages.
- Once you’ve chosen it, you’ll get a warning notice with a Sign out option that reads “Windows needs to sign you out in order to apply your new display language.” To see the changes take effect, click the option to sign out of Windows and then sign back in.
Only English is shown in Windows Display Language, and there is only one option?
If the language you need is not shown as a Windows display language choice, you must first download and install a language pack. For example, if you wish to change the Windows display language to Chinese or Japanese, you must first install the language pack for that language. To add a language to Windows 11, follow the instructions below.
- Follow the instructions from step 1 through 3 until you reach the Windows Display Language choice.
- Click the Add a language button to add a new language (the first blue button that you see on the settings page).
- To find the language you wish to install, type the name of the language into the search box.
- Click Next after selecting the language from the search results.
- Optionally, you may activate or disable any of the available optional language options on the following screen. If you’re not sure about a feature, leave it alone.
- Alternatively, you may select the option for “Set as my Windows display language” under Language options to have Windows 11 convert the system display language to this language once the language pack installation is complete.
- Then, to finish installing the language, click Install.
If you did not select the “set as my Windows display language” option in step 6, on the same settings page, click the drop-down menu under Windows display language to change the Windows display language to the language you just installed.
This time, you’ll have the choice of using the freshly installed language. After you’ve chosen your language, sign out of Windows and back in again to see the changes take effect.
For sharing, use the following description: Do you see Windows 11 in a language you don’t understand? In Windows 11, here’s how to change the default system UI display language.
Many people today are switching to Windows 10 and the latest and greatest version of the operating system. But if you’re still using Windows 7, you can opt to change your display language to English (United States) and you will notice the display language setting in the Windows Settings app. You can change the display language in Windows 10 or Windows 7 by adjusting the Region and Language settings.. Read more about windows 11 language pack download offline and let us know what you think.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I change the default display language?
You can change the default display language in the settings.
How can I change the language of Windows 11?
In order to change the language of Windows 11, you can use the Language option in the Control Panel.
How can I change my operating system language to English?
You can change your operating system language to English by going into the settings menu and selecting Language.
This article broadly covered the following related topics:
- change welcome screen language windows 10
- change display language windows 10
- windows 10 change language from chinese to english
- how to change computer language
- windows 11 language pack